Watermarks

Digital Photography School posted an article about photo piracy which was linked to an article about watermarks today, and I read it, as always it was a great article, with great comments that really left me thinking. To check it out head on over to DPS.


At any rate it is a topic that I have found, isn't talked about much, and it seems to be about 6 in on and half a dozen in the other in terms of who watermarks and who doesn't. I for one ALWAYS watermark, or as I call is, add my signature to photos that I put up online, except for those silly snapshots on kittens, cats  and family vacation photos.


Why do I watermark? I started to because I love the professionalism behind it. I am in no way a professional, but it sure makes me look more like one don't you think? Then as time went on it has started to be more. It's an advertisement, it's proof of copyright that many people fail to consider, it tells people that it is mine.


Now those who will steal will steal, and those who don't want the watermark on the image will remove it. Just like i removed a tower and two people from this photo.




All you need to be is half familiar with PS, GIMP, or any other photo program, and guaranteed those who steal photos for a living are quite adapt in removing water marks. A watermark in not a fail safe for theft, and that was never my intention when I marked mine. Preventing photo theft is a whole different ball game, that I'm going to leave untouched.


If any other photographers or artists are reading this, do you water mark? and If so why?
Please comment.

1 comments:

July 20, 2010 at 3:39 AM Food-a-holic said...

I would watermark if I felt my images were professional. I just take them for recreation mostly. I think if I were to start doing legitimate photography I would watermark though.

Post a Comment